Little Lemon Tree, a One Preschool school
One Preschool partners with one of the leaders in Day Care Insurance and they’ve been providing insurance since the 60’s. We work with them to provide all of our Directors great insurance that protect them, their families, and their assets. We tend to partner with providers that work specifically with family child care homes because family child care homes are very unique relative to other businesses.
To operate a family child care home in California, you need to either have liability insurance covering injury to clients and guests in the amount of at least $100,000 per occurrence. Instead of having insurance, a family child care home can also have families sign affidavits signed by each enrolled family. (http://ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/FamilyChildCareSelfAssessGuideTenantRights.pdf) The challenge with affidavits though is that they do not protect your family or assets if something bad were to happen in the household – which is why we supply liability insurance.
Our insurance providers covers the childcare provider and all residents of the household, employees and volunteers and includes. Here are more details about the coverage.
- Limits up to $1,000,000 per occurrence and $1,000,000 aggregate.
- Up to $100,000 coverage for child abuse plus legal defense and;
- Legal defense only for administrative hearings related to child abuse.
- Food preparation (for kids who get sick from food prepared by you or by others).
- Dispensing medication (just in case wrong medicine or wrong amount given)
- Field trips – parks, playgrounds, outside activities (trampolines excluded)
- Swimming pools (without charge, at home or on field trips)
- Dogs (except owned Akitas, Bull Mastiffs, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, and Rottweilers)
- Up to $20,000 Accident Medical for each enrolled child injured on or off the premises, including car travel.
- Providers own enrolled children covered (excess over other coverage).
- $5,000 Accidental Death Benefit.
- Up to $10,000 Accidental Dismemberment benefits.
- Up to $500.00 per tooth.
How often are providers sued for more than the $1M coverage One Preschool providers receive?
It’s very, very rare. The insurance provider we work with has only seen it once in the 60 years they’ve been in business.
What is a common reason why providers are sued for large amounts?
It’s usually tied to criminal activity by the provider. This is why at One Preschool we vet teachers thoroughly and require them to receive a license which requires a background check.
Are providers sued if kids get injured?
In our experience, children get hurt all of the time and it’s a common issue when dealing with children. Parents tend to be understanding of this unless there is clear negligence. Nonetheless, as a provider, you should be concerned about this and we are as well. Our insurance provides $20K in accidental medical coverage for each enrolled child injured on or off the premises, including car travel. This $20K can be used for doctor visits or medical issues. If you were to get sued, then the $1M liability insurance will kick in.
If you have questions please email us at email@example.com